How to take action

It’s a fact that even in Scotland people can experience problems when it comes to their human rights. If you think you or someone else is being poorly treated, there’s a number of ways to get advice and find out exactly where you stand.

These include the Equality Advisory and Support Service and Citizens Advice Scotland. The Scottish Human Rights Commission has also created a leaflet with more detail on the range of advice and support services that are available to you. Note; they can’t deal with individual cases.

If you feel that your rights are not being respected by an organisation, there are a number of steps you can take, including:

  • Raise the issue informally with the individual concerned
  • Write to the organisation
  • If you are not satisfied, make a complaint using the organisation’s procedure
  • If you are still not satisfied, contact the regulator of the organisation

The Scottish Public Service Ombudsman have a leaflet that provides advice on making a complaint.

If you can’t fix the issue yourself, you may want to seek legal advice. The Law Society for Scotland can advise on finding a solicitor. And if money becomes an issue, the Legal Aid Board can let you know if you are entitled to legal aid.